During Fall of 1935 a group of Christians from the Sunbury area got together and asked the Lancaster brothers, Bob and Arden, to come to this area for evangelistic meetings. Theirs developed into a permanent ministry and a portable tabernacle was eventually erected. Robert W. Lancaster, lovingly known as Pastor Bob, was the first pastor for Sunbury Bible Church. His brother Arden, also a pastor, remained right by his brother’s side though all the years and lifted the hearts of many though his musical ministry in the work.
In 1948, a parsonage was built and Pastor Bob and Irene Lancaster moved into their new home on December 1, 1949. In the early 1950’s, Pastor Bob began the well known broadcasts of “Morning Meditations”.
In 1957 a new building was constructed on the lot at the corner of Island Blvd. and Bridge Ave. between Northumberland and Sunbury. It was dedicated to the Lord on March 16, 1958.
On November 21, 1966, a Charter of Incorporation was drawn and signed making Sunbury Bible Church a free-standing non-profit identity.
In 1989, the pastor, staff, elders, deacons and members of Sunbury Bible Church voted to move forward in preparing to build and move out onto land purchased along Route 11 in Point Township. A new facility was erected and on Sunday, September 8, 1991, Sunbury Bible Church held the first worship services in this building.
For more than 80 years, we have seen growth of facilities and the body of believers. It is the primary focus for Sunbury Bible Church to continue to build up the body of Christ through Biblical teaching, reaching out to the community and world, spreading the Gospel message.